Monday, February 25, 2013

Ground 27: Global Energy Stadium

The sign above the Global Energy Stadium main stand
Game: Ross County 3 v 0 Motherwell
Date: Saturday 23rd February
Competition: Scottish Premier League
Attendance: 3,797
Admission: £20
Programme: £2


Another trip to the Highlands (two in a row!) and another entertaining match to add to this season’s feast of football.

First, I’m afraid, a little rant. To get to Saturday’s game involved a fair bit of travel. I always knew Dingwall was a trek from Edinburgh (168 miles to be precise) but there’s a big problem in Scotland with its infrastructure, especially rail. I was out my flat at 8.30am to make the 9.35am train that took me to Perth. Then I had a 25 minute layover in the city of my birth. There’s not a great deal to see at Perth Station I can assure you. From there, I had the journey north through picturesque scenery, but the fact it was just shy of four hours to get me between the country’s capital and fifth city is nothing short of a disgrace. (While I’m on one, here’s an interesting fact about rail in Scotland – a train journey to Dundee from Edinburgh is now slower than it was 100 years ago).

Delighted to arrive safely in Inverness, I was aware that I wouldn’t be able to get a return train to Dingwall that would get me back in time to Inverness to make my connection home (this is something that definitely needs rectified to encourage more away fans to games in the Highlands and to encourage them to take public transport instead of burning petrol on the A9). However, instead of getting a return bus ticket, I threw caution to the wind and jumped on the next train to depart Inverness, heading to the Kyle of Lochalsh which would stop at Dingwall. You get great views on this train of both the Kessock Bridge, the locks at the end of the Caledonian Canal as well as Grant Street Park, home of the famous Clachnacuddin.

The train arrived in Dingwall around twenty minutes after departure from the ‘Ness and what greeted travellers on their arrival was a fantastic looking pub, right on the platform. Unfortunately I didn’t have time for a drink but there were plenty of fans from both teams enjoying themselves, which was great to see.

From my reading beforehand, I knew that the ground was close to the station, but I didn’t quite realise how close – I was on the bridge over the railway line and could already see the ground. I don’t imagine there’s a more convenient station for fans in the country.

It became noticeable that whilst the sun was shining and there wasn’t a cloud in the sky that it was actually very cold, so after my ticket was purchased from the cabin facing the main stand, I headed into the ground to get my seat and something warm to eat.

My ticket was for the Jailend, which is the south stand at the Global Energy Stadium. The ground was formerly called Victoria Park, but due to the financial climate most clubs are living in, Ross County have sold the naming rights to their stadium. Whilst these deals can sit easy with many fans, I’m afraid that I’m more relaxed about it than I once was – they can provide a steady revenue stream for a club and to most fans they’ll call the ground what they’ve always called it. Global Energy Stadium may not roll of the tongue but if it allows County to add one or two more players to their squad then who I am to quibble? Obviously, it can go too far (Phoenix’s Jobing.com arena anyone? Or more recently, a Florida University whose stadium will be soon named after a firm who provide private prisons…) but if a club can find a sustainable and appropriate partnership then I can live with it.

I also chose to sit in the Jailend because I’ve heard of its reputation of being rather rowdy (although that was more in County’s pre-SPL days when the Jailend was a terrace) and also because a seat in the stand behind the goals were £4 cheaper than the side-lines. As much as I love Scottish football, it becomes hard to justify when it is charging £24 for Ross County-Motherwell.

It must also be said that everyone at Ross County, from the ticket office lady to the stewards to the caterers to the turnstile operators to the fans were all really friendly and jovial. That’s certainly not been my experience of many SPL grounds this season! Let’s hope County retain that warm-welcome throughout their stay in the top flight (and let’s hope it’s a prolonged one).

My lunch, courtesy of the caterers at GES was an intriguing haggis pie. Not something you see on the (mostly limited) menu of food at Scottish grounds. Topped with neeps and tatties (see above). I can assure you it was very good. More brownie points for Ross County.

The Jailend is only eight rows deep, and well sheltered which keeps the noise in. I was seated in the front row, which meant I was very, very close to the action but unfortunately wasn’t great for legroom. The rest of GES is very compact too – certainly a ground that looks bigger on television than it does in person. There’s a strange little stand opposite the main stand too, which almost looks like a temporary stand (see above), it’s odd but it added to GES’ character. The pitch wasn’t in the finest of conditions and at the opposite end of the ground, the visiting Motherwell fans were doing their best to generate some atmosphere with drums, a number of banners and then some smoke bombs. There was plenty of singing and dancing too, which suggested a number of them may have been on the ale.

I was surrounded by very knowledgeable fans of all ages, and they had a general enthusiasm for the game which is nothing short of infectious. As the game kicked off, I had a feeling this was going to be a match that I would really enjoy.

As so it proved to be. I can only describe Ross County’s display as a complete team performance. They were outstanding, working hard for each other, passing neatly, making dangerous runs. Central midfielder and County captain Richard Brittain was outstanding and an asset every fan would love to have at their club (St Johnstone fans are bound to be delighted to have signed him to a pre-contract agreement for next season). County started the game looking the more likely to score. Their fullbacks, Kovacevic and Ikonomou always looked to overlap and deliver the ball into the box.

Ross County eventually broke the deadlock when a defensive slip from Motherwell allow Ivan Sproule to take full advantage and leather the ball back Darren Randolph in goal. I’ll always have a special place in my heart for Ivan after scoring a hat-trick at Ibrox for Hibs as a substitute. Sadly, his second spell at Easter Road didn’t work out, but since his move to County in January he appears rejuvenated, as he notched his fifth goal in as many games.

From then on, County exerted total dominance over Motherwell, who frankly didn’t look as hungry as the Dingwall side. Even the introduction of Motherwell’s prodigal son, James McFadden couldn’t help them. McFadden looked sluggish and unfit and County doubled their lead shortly afterwards with a superb goal from Richard Brittain. Fast becoming my favourite SPL player, Brittain displayed a level of composure rarely seen in this league as he pulled the ball back and curled the ball into the net rather than smash it first time.

County compounded Motherwell’s misery with a third goal in the dying minutes, with an Iain Vigurs volley from six yards out. It was no more than County and Vigurs in particular deserved.

As I departed the ground and made my way to the bus stop to get back to Inverness I reflected that this was exactly the sort of day I had envisaged 42 Grounds being all about. A fantastic game in the winter’s sun, with plenty of excitement and goals. My visit to Ross County is up there with the best of the season so far. It was my first visit to Dingwall but after Saturday I’m going to make certain it’s not my last.

No comments:

Post a Comment