Tuesday, February 5, 2013

A moan about Inverness Caledonian Thistle


Scottish football isn’t helping itself.

If you’re a regular reader of this blog, you’ll know I’ve been almost constantly positive about Scottish football. There hasn’t been one of my 25 visits so far where I’ve had a bad time.

However, in the past week I’ve been very frustrated.

I’m up north this weekend to visit my grandmother with the rest of my family. As ever, I quickly checked the fixture list and was delighted to see Inverness Caledonian Thistle are at home to Celtic. That’s a fixture that should be entertaining, especially given their respective league positions.

About a month ago, I logged onto ICT’s website for find details for the game and how to purchase tickets for the match. There were no details online until last week. So I logged on, registered to purchase tickets for me, my Dad and my brother (who is just back from Australia). Three neutral spectators in search of some quality football. I added three tickets for the North Stand and proceeded to the checkout where I was informed “Unfortunately, one or more items in your basket is assigned to a newly registered client, which is not allowed.” I believe this may be to do with the fact that ICT are at home to Celtic, and like many clubs are concerned with Celtic fans obtaining tickets for the home end. This is just a hunch, as there’s nothing on the website to state this is the case, nor is there an opportunity to ask for help.

Unperturbed, I decided to call the ticket office to see if I could get this resolved, perhaps explain the 42 Grounds adventure and secure seats for the game. There was no answer at the box office, so I left a voicemail on Thursday lunchtime. As I write, it’s the following Tuesday and I’ve not yet received a call back and the three seats I’d wanted are still showing as available online.

This is systematic of how many fans are treated in Scottish football. Strange rules governing who can buy tickets (for example, during the world’s biggest arts festival in August, tourists were unable to get tickets for the Edinburgh derby at Easter Road), and the customer service really lets the clubs down.

Inverness Caledonian Thistle look like they are about to do themselves out of £75 worth of ticket money (plus programmes, parking and food).

Thankfully there’s a game on at Boroughbriggs which we’ll take in instead, but the next time I hear Inverness chairman Kenny Cameron make comments about attracting people to games, I’ll remember this moment.

At a time when most SPL clubs are urging their fans to buy season tickets, replica kits, hospitality, bricks in walls, why would they make it so difficult for fans and neutrals alike to attend games?

No comments:

Post a Comment